While commonly known as Tal-y-Llyn Lake, its real name has been Llyn Mwyngil since at least the fifteenth century. Technically it is a large glacial ‘ribbon lake’ and is one of the most popular fishing lakes in Wales, not to mention one of the most photographed.
Colonel Vaughan of Hengwrt, Dolgellau built the Tynycornel Hotel in 1844 and supplied two boats which became popular with fly fishermen.
While often thought of with the Talyllyn Railway, that actually ends two and a half miles from the end of the lake
An interesting fact is that the nearby Church (now holiday accommodation) contains the grave of Jenny Jones who was the only woman at the Battle of Waterloo, as she accompanied her officer husband.